Depression is a word I know too well.
In exactly one month, I will be able to say that I’m therapist, so I hear it in class, I see it in the text books, I read about it in the DSM and I see it in my clients. I’m surrounded by it. I’m surrounded with people who are just having a bad day, who easily proclaim that they are depressed. Then I’m also around people who are so depressed, they can’t even mumble the words ‘I need help’.
Depression is more than feeling sad; it’s this deep deep sadness that is very difficult to just brush off. It’s when you wake up and you wish you were still sleeping. It’s when you can’t see any future because you can’t imagine living the next 2years. Constantly.
This poem sort of sums it up. Take a read:
http://www.loveunthorned.com/member/1/b … isticPoet/
According to statistics, many things might contribute to depression. Two of these things include:
1. Genetics (biological)
Chances are if your mother, father, sister, grandmother, Uncle and Aunt has dealt with depression; you might at some point in your life, deal with depression.
2. Situation
Many situations may affect your mood. In this economy, losing a job has become a big reason some people seek out counseling.
Do I have depression?
I can’t answer that and neither will this brief article. However, according to the DSM-IV, to meet the requirements for depression, certain criterion needs to be met. All of them are not listed, but they include:
•Depressed mood most of the day
•Lack of interest in things you used to enjoy
•Significant weight loss or weight gain
•Sleeping too much or too little
•Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide
If you feel you might be suffering from depression, visit a therapist. A list of Christian therapists can be found here:
http://www.findchristiancounselor.com/? … 7QodSjA7-w
A therapist may be able to help you decide what options you would like to take in treating your depression. Maybe it’s some deep-rooted issue that you need to talk about; maybe medication will be the best route. Your therapist will help you decide what’s best for you.
Not ready for a therapist? Consult with a LifeCoach!
http://flavors.me/springboard
'like' them on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SpringBoardInc
Need help? In the U.S., call 1-800-273-8255
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Have you dealt with Depression? What treatment method (s), if any, works for you?
LU
Follow us on Twitter @LoveUnthorned
‘Like’ us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/LoveUn … 2288761278
loveunthorned.blogspot.com
Contact us to speak about us at your church at loveunthorned@gmail.com
Reference:
American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders: DSM-IV-TR. Washington, DC: bauer, M., Suppes, P. & Thase, M.
No comments:
Post a Comment